Tuesday, December 6, 2011

06122011

 Suffering from insomnia!  From last night. My eyes were wide awake till my alarm rang at 0530. I was very restless and tired. But surprisingly I had a really good and interesting day at work. First of all, we had few samples. So by 1200 we were settled with our processing.

 Later on, our Managing Director, Dato Sharon low pay a visit to lab. She brought a real human embryo sac just for us to get a better picture on how to withdraw cord blood from umbilical cord. It was thick tissues with lots of blood vessels. I actually touched (with gloves) and feel the structures of umbilical cord. It was very rubberish yet very strong. It really need sharp surgical scissors to cut it off. Besides, we also examine the amniotic membrane. It was as though it made of thick fibers plus mesh of flexible membranes. It was very stretchable and flexible. It really took quite force just to tear it off. Other than this, we examine placenta. It provides nutrient and oxygen to fetus during pregnancy. So, we can see a lot of thick tissues with lots of blood vessels. At one point, the structures look a bit like brain (but not as pale as brain).

Well being a Biomedical Technologist, doesn’t expose us to events behind the scenes especially the procedures involved in withdrawing blood from umbilical cord when the baby born. Hence, today experience was really great. It just makes me to appreciate the very nature of human being. I just wonder how much of force and pain a mother should have to go through during the labor pain. It really seems very scary now.

I was very excited and curious during the whole procedure. But only later on, I got the effect. I can’t have my food. I was kept on thinking about the structures. I felt a lump at my throat throughout the evening. Hahaha side effect I guess. Luckily, I was not a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment